FAVACA/HRDF Aquin , Haiti Mission
Project Field Notes of Alan Woolwich, AICP
August 14 – 20, 2003
- Arrive PAP
- Meet Team
- Briefing with team and HRDF president Aldy Castor. Reviewed Prepared Packet Briefing materials.
- Travel to Aquin from PAP
- Field Walk and investigation of Hotel and neighborhood, Hotel Road and Aquin Town Square
- Meet other HRDF consultants and guests
- Measure, Survey, and field notes of Hotel Road Corridor
- Plotting of field notes for Hotel Road . Roadway, Drainage, Pulloffs
- Attending opening ceremony of guest house with local officials, neighborhood residents,
- Field Walk and investigation of alternate Hotel access road to the east
- Creation of solar street and park lighting specifications based on field observations
- Drafting of preliminary lighting plan for the town square
- Toured and walked neighborhood trails, roads, and potable water supply facility and distribution lines
- Walked the neighboring agricultural operations, river corridor, and evaluated the future potential of small scale hydro electric power generation, irrigation, and aqua-culture operations by other diaspora land owners and investors. Vacation and retirement homes.
- Field locating and marking of solar street lights on hotel road and park lights
- Measure, Survey, and field notes of Town Square
- Investigation and walk of current drainage patterns in and around the Town Square
- Construction plan photos taken of the road corridor and Town Square
- Creation of draft engineering and drainage plan for the Town Square
- Meeting with local planner to be briefed on previous planning concepts for the Town Square
- Sketched and designed preliminary site plan for the town square uses and infrastructure
- Met with other eco-tourism and vacation resort interests in the neighboring town of Zanglais .
- Delivered diving and snorkeling gear for use and training of local fisherman as snorkeling tour guides. Discussed plans for creation of kayak nature tour program for Aquin and the Bay for new visitors.
- Meet with neighborhood leaders to discuss project design concepts for the Hotel Road , future neighborhood infrastructure needs, economic development opportunities, and building and maintaining partnerships, cooperation, and communications.
- Travel back to PAP
- Toured expanding vacation community development, agriculuture, and supporting infrastructure development in the Kenscoff region in the mountains south of PAP.
- Travel from PAP to Orlando